Dr. Hrstka’s cottage
Description of place
In 1925 the Štramberk branch of the Czech Tourist Club – a hikers’ organization – celebrated 30 years of activity. To mark the occasion, local members opened two buildings – the restored ‘Jaroněk’s shelter’ below the castle tower (named in honour of its designer Bohumír Jaroněk) and the newly built ‘Rašín cottage’ (now known as Dr Hrstka’s cottage). Building work on the cottage began in the early spring of 1925 to plans by the architect František Grossman, with construction supervised by the builder J. Gregor from Zubří. The cottage was opened to the public on 1 August, when it was presented to the local branch of the Tourist Club. On the ground floor there were 2 communal bunkrooms with space for 14 people – one for 10 men, and the other for 4 women. On the upper floor – with access via an outside veranda – there were 4 rooms containing 12 beds in total. In 1928 several alterations were made to the surrounding area, with the castle walls modified to create a courtyard where the owners of cars or motorcycles could park their vehicles. After the Second World War the cottage was renamed in honour of the doctor and local historian Dr Adolf Hrstka.